Matt 6:9-15 (KJ2000) ” 9 After this manner therefore pray: Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be your name. 10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen. 14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15 But if you forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”
(He says after this manner pray not use these exact words. This is mentioned prior to the prayer given in Matt 6:6-8 (KJ2000) ” 6 But you, when you pray, enter into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret shall reward you openly. 7 But when you pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not therefore like them: for your Father knows what things you have need of, before you ask him.” )
1. Our Father who is in heaven, Holy is your name.
-You are great beyond all comprehension. Every character trait about You is magnificent. Your faith and hope and love are wonderfully complete and infinite.
2. Your kingdom come.
– What if the gates of the kingdom are represented by the 12 tribes of Isreal (Rev. 21:12)?. What characteristics would the ‘Joseph’ gate have?
Help me enter Your kingdom more throughout the day in praise and worship of you and in humble service to everyone in need.
3 – Your will be done in earth as it is in heaven.
– Help me listen to you clearly and steadfastly. Give me the courage and strength to always do what You want me to. Your will is far better than what I might think or any other option. Keep me steady in obeying you humbly in being a good servant.
4- Give us this day our daily bread.
– Not give us all the bread we will ever need today.
5- Forgive us our debts.
-My number one debt is what Jesus did on the cross. Help me, God to ask for forgiveness more often and not be taken by pride or ignorance.
6 – As we forgive our debtors.
– In thanksgiving and joy I forgive all debts owed to me which are very tiny compared to what I owed You before Jesus paid the price.
Notice verses 14 & 15. Jesus stresses the importance of my forgiving upon my being forgiven.
7 – Lead me not into temptation but deliver me from evil.
– God doesn’t tempt me but He might allow evil to happen to discipline and help me grow. Father, help me listen to you before I have to suffer the consequences. Protect me from all evil and when evil comes deliver me quickly. You are the deliverer.
(8 -For yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen. )
– everything belongs to God. He is the King of His spiritual kingdom. He makes everything live. He is the author of life and sustainer of all things . It is all because of Him.